YOUnique is an exciting annual festival organised by and for young people. This year’s theme is ‘Celebrating Hyson Green’ offering a weekend of creative workshops, exhibitions, live performances and sport taking place at New Art Exchange and the surrounding community.
The YOUnqiue Festival is curated as part of the YOUnique programme, where young people learn and lead in the delivery of the festival, a three-day takeover of New Art Exchange. Participants learn all the key aspects of festival production and management and work with the NAE team, industry experts, and professional artists. They receive specialist training and development opportunities. They choose the key themes, the artists they want to work with, and programme a weekend-long festival.
This year’s YOUnique Festival theme is ‘Celebrating Hyson Green’ and has three full days of free activities you children, families and young people to enjoy.
Here is the full programme for the YOUnique Festival.
THURSDAY 9 MARCH
- Panel discussion: Starting Your Own Business | Learning Room | 1pm -2pm
Panel discussion Lead by YOUlead Winner Vimbai. An opportunity to ask questions about starting your own business and the YOUlead Programme Experience.
- Song and Words: Curated by YOUnique Producers | CafeBar 3-6pm
An afternoon of acoustic music and poetry curated by NAE’s Younique Festival Producers.
- Verbal Self Defence Workshop | Learning Room | 2.30-3.30pm
A creative spoken word workshop introducing ‘Verbal Self defence and the Art of Language’.
- Woven | Learning room | 4-6pm
A creative workshop led by Hana Fredricks. Join her in making colourful yard and weave together to create a woven installation This woven installation focuses on working people in our community by making the yarn with fabric from local independent shops in Hyson Green.
FRIDAY 10 MARCH
- Chinese Storytelling and Music | Learning Room | 12pm-3pm
Join Ling Peng in this story telling workshop and explore Chinese instruments and music to accompany a folk story from China.
- SIMRAN by Journey of the Mind | Mezzanine | 3-4pm
Visit the exhibition with the opportunity to ask questions about SIMRAN.
- Customise Your Sneakers Workshop | Learning Room/Performance Space 4pm-7pm
A creative artist-lead workshop where you learn how to customise your Sneakers.
- Under the Spotlight | CaféBar | 6-9pm
Join us for an evening of live performances from young black musicians and poets. Curated by Tatenda Chitsamba, Tracy Luv and Lauren Nicole Whitter.
SATURDAY 11 MARCH
- Family Craft Workshop | Learning Room | 10-12pm
Fun filled family creative Art Session. Lead by Artist Holly
- The Golden Rule: YARD Performance (Younger Group) | Performance Space | 12.30-1pm
Special Performance by Young Yard performers
- #ItStartedBy: YARD Performance (Older Group) | Performance Space | 3-3.45pm
Special Performance by Yard Performers
- Ori Ja Performance and Workshop | Learning Room | 4-5pm
Bringing together the joy of dance, performance and empowerment led by the Brazilian Cultural Centre
- YOUnique Live Performances | CaféBar | 5-7pm
Live line-up of performances showcasing incredible local talent. Hosted by Melonyx
SATURDAY 11 MARCH | OUTDOOR ACTVITIES
- Mantis Boxing Family | Vine Community Centre | 5.30–7.30pm
For further info contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07432528989
- Celebrating Hyson Green Parade | By Brazilian Cultural Centre and Zodiac All Stars | Starting from New Art Exchange 2pm
Procession and parade, around significant community sights within Hyson Green’s Creative Quarter.
- Skating Performance | Vine Community Centre 10am–1pm and Hyson Green Youth Centre 3–6pm
Family Roller skating classes for beginners, intermediate and experts. Age 8-80. For more information please email Campbellelliott03@gmail.com
Posted on 06 March 2023