He who makes a bee-ast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
What’s it like being an autistic person in workplaces that (despite what they claim) don’t really want people to “bee” themselves?
Keep it Fringe 2023 Award Winner Stephen Catling brings us a surrealist comedy escapade in his debut hour. Meet a panda game show host, dog priest and a stand-up crab as Stephen takes us on a journey through a series of weird and wonderful sketches that both celebrate and reflect on being a neurodivergent adult.
One of the circuit’s most up-and-coming and unique performers, Stephen explores his time working in both big and small organizations (including animal research, NHS and an industrial bakery), the struggles he has gone through as an autistic and the impact it had on him. In a weird, wonderful and highly personal show, a world society doesn’t yet fully understand, or often accept is explored.
The show is a comedy but could not be described as straight stand-up, the use of music, audio cues, costumes, props, clowning and the interaction in the show brings a heavy emotional and immersive experience which has been designed and developed to be appreciated by neurotypical and neurodivergent minds alike. Further the show is focusing not just talking about these issues and experiences but showing.
The show was a smash hit at the Edinburgh Fringe 2023 among critics and audiences alike and nominated for both the prestigious Malcom Hardee award for comic originality and the actually autistic excellence award along with being recommended by the British comedy guide as one of the festivals must see shows. The show was also one of the fifty recipients of the Keep it fringe award which was founded in 2023 by honorary president of the Fringe Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
- ‘Keep it Fringe’ – Award Winner – 2023
- The neurodiverse review award for Actually autistic excellence -shortlisted – 2023
- Malcom Hardee Award for comic originality- shortlisted- 2023
- BBC New Comedy Awards – Shortlisted -2023
- Stand Up for Cider – Finalist – 2023
- Luke Rollasson Memorial Bursary award shortlist -2023
- BN1 magazines pick of the Brighton fringe 2023
- Chortle Student Comedy Award – Semi-Finalist – 2022
- South Coast Comedian of the Year – Semi-Finalist – 2022
- Get up standup up – Semi-finalist -2022
- Max turner prize – semi-finalist 2022
- Stand up Nights – Finalist – 2019
Venue: The Navigation inn
Dates: 5 th November 2023
Ticket prices: £ 6
Posted on 18 October 2023